Our gold star club (for finishing the book before the meeting) included: Jennifer, Julie, and Katie. Heather gets a silver star for bringing pork chops. ;)
First impressions of the book?
- Confused! Had to make chart of characters.
- This book is going to be a lot of fun to read :)
- Pleased that we are reading a book with all-you-can-eat in the title in January when everyone is on diet.
- Thought there would be more dinner food. :(
- Liked how you got to know everyone well.
- Loved ghost of the mom, and Eleanor Roosevelt.
- Liked the one liners.
- Odette and James.
- Personalities of churches
- Ending is fantastic.
- When Odette frees Barbara Jean from "stepdad" - boxing in underwear
Was there anything you disliked?
- A little formulaic in parts.
- Richmond suddenly changing his ways. Would have preferred for Richmond to leave the picture entirely.
- Wish Barbara Jean's story hadn't been so extreme, and it was too tidy.
Our feast was worthy of a funeral (although it was only a one ham affair):
Dawn – Deviled Eggs
Heather McN – roasted potatoes and pork chops, jello salad
Jennifer T. - roasted chicken
Julie D. – roasted Brussels sprouts
Katie S. – Sicilian Collard Greens with Pine Nuts and Raisins
Madeline - Ham
Barbara W. – donuts!
For Wednesday February 12, 2014 we are reading The Cat's Table by Michael Ondaatje, which takes place on a ocean liner! I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with for this.