Monday, December 27, 2010

Thinking About Urban Farming

I'm very excited about discussion Farm City at our next meeting, so I put up a display of related books of interests. Here are a few I am especially curious about:

My Empire of Dirt : How One Man Turned His Big-City Backyard into a Farm: A Cautionary Tale by Manny Howard. Looks to be a similar read to Farm City, except this one takes place in Brooklyn.

Fresh Food From Small Spaces : the Square Inch Gardener's Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting, and Sprouting by R.J. Ruppenthal. I don't want a huge garden, I just want to make the best use of the space I have!

The Joy of Keeping Chickens by Jennifer Megyesi. I love the idea of keeping chickens. Fresh eggs, lovely little clucking noises, the soft feathers. How could it not be a joy?

The Backyard Beekeeper : an Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden by Kim Flottum. I'm curious about beekeeping, but not sure I have what it takes to be a beekeeper myself. But I do like fresh honey!

Lucid Food : Cooking for an Eco-Conscious Life by Louisa Shafia. Beyond raising your own food, what and how you cook it can impact the world! Plus, these dishes just look YUMMY.


No comments:

Post a Comment